As a kitten to accustom to the toilet in the apartment: the rules of learning and tips from the video
takes care of the kitten - it's joyful and pleasant. When the soft fluff of a wool sits on the hands of its owner and mildly touches, it fills the animal's owner with positive emotions. But if you live in a multi-storey house and only dream of starting a pet, then, most likely, you are interested in how to accustom a cat to a toilet in an apartment. To do this quickly, you need to know a few rules. Consider all the secrets of how to teach a cat to walk on the tray.
How to start kitten training to go to the toilet
To teach the kitten to the toilet you must start the day you brought the animal to your home. For this, even before the appearance of a small lump of wool in your apartment, you need to prepare a special cat's pot and filler to it. These items must be selected correctly, so that they fit the cat and did not cause the animal to have a feeling of rejection. How to do it we will consider below.
Buying a tray for a pet
When choosing a tray, you should not be guided by the criterion of what is
cheaper, but it is better to give preference to a comfortable, reliable cat's toilet. The size of this device should be such that the cat in it without problems was placed. Choose a stable tray with high sides, then its contents will not be scattered by the cat on the floor. But for a small kitten, a device with low walls of 5-7 cm is suitable. If you do not want to use a filler for a cat's pot, then choose a model with a mesh. The following types of caterpillar equipment are sold:
- One-piece plastic open tray of rectangular shape with low sides. It is perfect for a kitten. This pot is cheap, easy to use. It is easy to clean, does not occupy much space at home. Use this device is necessary together with special granules, which absorb the moisture well.
- Tray with mesh. It is used without filler.
- Tray with high sides and additional edge, fastened to the edges. Cats love these patterns, because they resemble boxes. This device is easy to clean, keep clean, but it requires more space than the above described devices.
- A closed tray in the form of a house. He looks very aesthetically pleasing and likes cats, but has a high cost.
- Automatic cleaning tray. This model is unique because it is a self-cleaning complex. This automatic device will save the owner of the cat from the constant cleaning of stool.
Selection of filler
Previously, sand was used as a filler for cat litter. But it was extremely impractical and brought a lot of problems to cats and their masters. Now we sell convenient fillers for cat pots, which perfectly absorb the smell and moisture. They are made from materials that are highly absorbent and safe for humans. For the cat litter the following fillers are suitable:
- Wood. These are sawdust, pressed in the form of granules. This product is inexpensive, but it can effectively cope with its task. When the granules get wet, they break up into sawdust to absorb moisture and odor.
- From grain, paper waste. Produced in the form of small granules, which are made by pressing soy, bran, paper.
- From the corn. It is an environmentally friendly material that is harmless to humans and cats. However, corn pellets weigh a little, so cats can scatter them around the apartment.
- Of minerals and clay. When moisture enters, pebbles from these materials become lumps that are easy to clean.
- Zeolite, mineral. These substances absorb the smell and moisture perfectly.
- Silica gel. This material is the best of all pellets for a cat's pot, because it needs to be poured into small amounts in the toilet and changed every 14-21 days. Under the brand name "Crystal" a good silica gel is produced.
Selecting the location of the cat tray in the apartment
As a rule, many cat owners try to remove the device for animal needs in a secluded place, away from the eyes. Often, the location of the tray is the toilet room or bath. But this is sometimes uncomfortable for cats, especially if the door to these rooms is not always left open. It is better for a pet to put a pot in the corridor, because here this device will always be easily accessible to the animal.
And to make it look aesthetically pleasing and does not bother guests, then choose a tray model in the form of a house. However, if you want to accustom a cat to go to the toilet, then put a cat's pot next to it. Then gradually put under the toilet for the cat something until it is leveled with the level of the toilet. Then the cat's pot must be removed, and the cat, once again coming to the usual place, will understand where it needs to be emptied.
Basic rules for teaching a small kitten to the toilet
The physiology of cats is such that the urge to manage the need for these animals occurs immediately after sleep and after eating. In these periods it is best to begin to accustom the pet to the tray. But if during the process of training a kitten correctly to go to the toilet there will be blunders, and the animal will do its work in the wrong place, then it is not worthwhile to beat it. It is better in this case to take a napkin and soak it "such a gift" and take the rag to the cat's tray. Next time the cat will come to meet the need to the place where it smells.
This method will help develop the habit of the pet to walk on the filler in a special device. However, the site where the pet was done should be thoroughly washed with a detergent so that there is no smell that will again guide the animal to write at this inappropriate place. The kitten can easily be accustomed to the toilet for 7-10 days. But for this you need to know the basic rules that will help make the process quick, easy for the cat and the owner:
- After sleeping or eating, take your pet to the cat's toilet.
- During the day, bring a small pet to the pot, so that he will remember the smell of the tray.
- For kittens, buy a special filler that will not harm their health, even if they eat a few pellets.
- If the cat does not grab the pellets, then take neatly the paws of the animal and dig in the filler.
- Watch the pet. When you see that he begins to stomp on one place, restlessly behave, meow, then stop all activities and take the animal to the pot.
- Always, when the animal correctly descends to the need, praise the cat, treat it with delicacy.
- If a small cat stubbornly refuses to walk on the tray, then it may not be suitable filler. Try changing pellets to others.
- If over time the animal began to walk past its pot, then perhaps this device for the cat is already scarce and you need to buy a larger model.
- To stimulate the urge to defecate the cat, put the animal on the filler and massage his tummy.
- Keep the cat's pot clean, because these animals may refuse to cope with a dirty filler.
Advice on accustoming an adult cat or cat to a toilet
To develop an adult cat skill, walking on the tray uses the same methods as for kitten training. But when these methods are ineffective, it is recommended to limit the freedom of movement of the pet by a small territory. At this point in the apartment, install the cat's pot and the adult animal, being clean, will soon understand where to go to meet need. The following methods are recommended to try for training the cat to the toilet:
- An effective way to develop a cat's habit of going to a special pot is to watch the animal, and when it starts to bridge to meet its needs, carry the pet to the place provided for it. After that, do not wash the pot so that the next time the cat could smell, where it is necessary to write.
- If the animal has chosen a special place to cope with its needs, then during the feces removal process bring the toilet and put the cat there. Gradually change the location of the tray until you install the device in the toilet or other part of the apartment.
- If an adult cat used to live on the street, fill the ground with a filler for the first time inside the pot, because for her it is a familiar environment for the process of excrement.
Video tips: how to accustom a kitten to the toilet in the apartment
In order for the cat to bring only pleasant emotions to its owners, it must be quickly accustomed to a special cat's pot. How can a cat quickly become accustomed to walking in search of a need in the right place? For this it is necessary to know all the subtleties of training pets for this process. And what should I do if the cat stops walking to her pot and does not need food anywhere? On the next 4 videos, experts detail the secrets of accustoming to the tray, the toilet bowl of pets of different ages.
How to start training the British kitten
How to quickly train a two-month-old kitten to use the toilet
The way to train cats and cats to the toilet